Information for entrepreneurs in the city centre of Groningen
Because of the royal visitors on King’s Day – Friday April 27th 2018 - we need to take several security and traffic measures on and around King’s Day in the city centre of Groningen. These measures have consequences for entrepreneurs. Below you will find essential information as well as the letters that entrepreneurs in the city centre receive.
Route royal family
This is the route of the royal family across the city centre:
- Noordzijde Grote Markt
- Oude Boteringestraat
- Oude Kijk in ’t Jatstraat
Also see Programme.
Changed opening hours on King’s Day
For all entrepreneurs on or near the route, the following applies: on Friday April 27th 2018 your business may open from 1.00 pm onwards. The entrepreneurs concerned will receive a letter about this. From 6.00 am in the morning the route of our royal visitors will be completely fenced off. After 1.00 pm the fences will be removed as soon as possible.
Traffic measures for bicyles and mopeds
- In the light purple area on map 1 there are no bicycles and mopeds allowed on Friday April 27th from 6 am to 2 pm. Barriers will close off the area.
- In the dark purple coloured streets on map 1 parking of bicycles and mopeds is not allowed from Thursday April 26th, 6 pm until Friday April 27th, midnight.
- When your bike of moped is towed-away, you can read here what to do.
Do you have a bicycle or moped parked on the street or pavement in the light purple area or in dark purple coloured streets on map 1? It means you will have to move your bicycle/moped, even when you are a resident here. All around the city centre we will place extra bicycle stands. Bicycles and mopeds that remain behind in both purple areas may be removed by the municipality of Groningen.
Traffic measures for cars and motorbikes
- In the light purple area on map 2 there are no cars and motorbikes allowed on Friday April 27th from 6 am to 2 pm. Barriers will close off the area.
- Entrance of cars and motorbikes is not allowed in:
- the grey area shown on map 2 from Thursday April 26th, 7 pm until Friday 27th April, midnight.
- the orange area shown on map 2 from Friday April 27th, 6 am until 2 pm. You will be allowed to leave these areas by car or motorbike.
- It is not allowed to park cars and motorbikes along the Praediniussingel and the Ubbo Emmiussingel as from Thursday April 26th, midnight, until the end of events here on Friday April 27th. There are also no-parking zones along the Diepenring, because we have to place lots of bicycle stands there. Also see: no-parking zones.
Do you have a car or motorbike parked on the street in the light purple area shown on map 2? It means you will have to move your car/motorbike, even when you are a resident here. Cars and motorbikes that remain behind in the light purple area may be removed by the municipality of Groningen.
Getting to your house or business
The best way to reach the city centre of Groningen during the festivities on King’s Night and King’s Day is by foot. The route of the royal visitors, is fenced off completely from 6 am onwards on Friday April 27th 2018. Please keep in mind that your house or business will therefore be difficult to reach. You can cross the route at the following locations: in the Oude Boteringestraat and on the corner of the Vismarkt/A-Kerkhof and Stoeldraaierstraat. Well before the royal family arrives these pedestrian crossings will be closed. After 1 pm we will remove all fences as soon as possible.
NOTE: along the route of the royal family there is limited space for spectators. If a certain part along the route is packed with people, this part will be closed off. As a consequence you may not be able to reach your house or business.
Making your way in the city centre
If you want traverse the city centre, please keep in mind it will be really busy and crowded. It is best to go around the city centre. For example, by walking via Hoge der A, Schuitendiep and Turfsingel. Or by bike via the Diepenring, Gedempte Zuiderdiep, Munnekeholm and Brugstraat. It is best to avoid the city centre by car or otherwise drive along the Diepenring. On location there are signs, traffic sign trailers and traffic attendants to show the way.
Some underground waste containers along the route of the royal visitors may be closed off. If this concerns you as an entrepreneur, you will receive a separate letter about it. For more information about waste collection, read the letter of Wednesday April 11th below.
Supply and displays
The city centre of Groningen is difficult to reach on April 26th and April 27th 2018. Please have your business supplied no later than Thursday April 26th. If this causes insurmountable problems, please contact the municipality of Groningen via this telephone number: 14 050. The municipality will look into the possibilities with you.
Please remember to inform your suppliers, customers/guests and staff in time about the limited accessibility of your business on and around King’s Day.
Outside displays are not allowed on Friday April 27th from 6 am until midnight. This applies to the light purple area shown on map 1.
In the days before and also after the events on King’s Night and King’s Day all kinds of (preliminary) work has to be done. For example we will have to put up stages, install sound systems and place barriers. These activities may cause some nuisance or noise nuisance. For locations, see events. <link invoegen>
Temporary removal of bicycle stands in the city centre
As from Tuesday April 3rd 2018 municipal services will remove several bicyle stands from the city centre. It concerns bicycle stands on the following locations: at the Prinsenhofhotel, at restaurant ‘t Feithhuis at the Martinikerkhof, at the Broerplein/Academieplein, on the south side of the Vismarkt and in the Stoeldraaiersstraat. We will announce the temporary removal of these bike stands by placing signs on location.
Letters sent to entrepreneurs/residents in the city centre of Groningen:
- To entrepreneurs/residents in the city centre (April 11th 2018, pdf, 217 kB)
- To entrepreneurs/residents on or near to route royal visitors (March 12th 2018, pdf, 112 kB)
- To entrepreneurs/residents in other areas in or near the city centre (March 12th 2018, pdf, 124 kB)
Questions and contact
Do you have any questions about King’s Day which have not been answered by reading the information on this website? Please contact the Klantcontactcentrum (customer care) of the municipality of Groningen, via telephone number: 14 050